Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Breathing Exercise Challenge - On Lung At a Time


It seems that the human body is pretty symmetrical isn't it? In fact, we have a lot of redundancy because of this. Have you ever noticed that we have to lungs, but we probably don't ever use the full capacity of both of them? I have, because I was a runner in high school and college. I used the peak capacity early and often, I had to, to win races. However, most people don't, they barely use a third of their capacity. Perhaps this is why everyone is so out of shape. Now then, I'd like to talk to you about a breathing exercise that I used to do, and I'm not sure if it helped or not, but when you are a high-performance athlete it is amazing how much control you have over your own body.


Okay so, what I used to do was practice breathing only on one lung. Of course, you can't shut off your windpipe because there is no valve for that, which would allow you to breathe and let air in and out of only one side. However, if you work very hard at this in trying to do so you will notice that you can develop muscles in your body to help you control where you send most of that air. People who have a collapsed lung, that is to say they only have one lung left to breathe on are able to use the remaining lung to serve all their needs, it will make plenty of oxygen as long as you don't go out and try to run a mile.

It is interesting when practicing this exercise, that after a while you can feel all the air going into one side, and only a little bit of air going into the other. It is possible to actually control it, although most people can't, it's only because they've never done this type of breathing exercise, I would challenge you to try. It won't hurt you, it can only help you. Do I think that my body is capable doing things that others can't? I think in sports I've proved that, but when it comes to an exercise like this you are utilizing new ways of doing things, new methods, and developing new muscles.

Better lungs mean more oxygen in the blood stream, better cardiovascular health, along with more capability in all that you do. Perhaps you should try this exercise, concentrate on only filling up one lung at a time, and then switch sides, and then switch back again. If you do this for five or 10 minute a day, perhaps while you are at work, you will find a new way to control your body that you never knew you had. There are no research reports to be found on this, I've looked. But it is interesting no doubt. Indeed I hope you will please consider all this and think on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment